Far Secrets, Northern Visions
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Cold)
Hit Dice: 4d8+4 (22 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+1 Dex, +2 natural, +3 studded leather armor, +2 heavy wooden shield), touch 11, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+6
Attack: Battleaxe +7 melee (1d8+2/×3) or composite longbow (+2 Str bonus) +5 ranged (1d8+2/×3)
Full Attack: Battleaxe +7 melee (1d8+2/×3) or composite longbow (+2 Str bonus) +5 ranged (1d8+2/×3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Ice blast
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., frost folk traits, immunity to cold, snowsight, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +4
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8
Skills: Climb +1, Hide +1, Listen +2, Move Silently +1, Spot +2, Survival +2
Feats: Great Fortitude, Weapon Focus (battleaxe)
Environment: Cold mountains
Organization: Solitary, family (3–6 plus 1–2 winter wolves), clan (10–30 and 2–8 winter wolves), or village (20–400 and 4–24 winter wolves)
Challenge Rating: 2
Alignment: Often neutral evil
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +1
Tall and pale, this burly tribesman seems human enough, but his eyes are a startling pale shade of blue, and a noticeable chill seems to hang in the air around him. He wears studded leather armor and carries a battleaxe.
Frost folk are an isolated and xenophobic race descended from humans who struck a bargain with the gods of winter. In exchange for power over snow and ice, they sold their souls to a cruel deity—or, as some claim, an archdevil. Frost folk are almost always encountered alone, a single frost man sometimes accompanied by a hunting winter wolf. They are of the height and weight of a typical human male, with bright blue eyes, and pale snowy skin. They favor finely stitched furs, often arctic fox, ermine, or bearskin. Some wear helmets made from bear, wolf, or wolverine skulls. A noticeable chill surrounds them.
Frost folk villages are extremely remote, found only in very cold terrain. These villages are often cliff dwellings in mountains, deep glacial caverns, or underground caverns deep under everfrost or boreal forests. Frost folk are excellent hunters and herdsmen, keeping flocks of caribou, musk oxen, and mountain sheep. A few villages are able to grow crops around hot springs, in sheltered valleys, and in some warm forested valleys. Frost folk speak Common.
Frost folk are disciplined fighters with a keen sense of tactics. They enjoy bloody slaughter and often set ambushes in deep snow, where axe fighters hide beneath the powder and archers can fire their bows at opponents whose movement is hindered.
Ice Blast (Su): Frost folk can produce a 20-foot cone of icy mist from their left eye. This deals 2d6 points of cold damage to all creatures within the area (Reflex save DC 13 half). The save DC is Constitution based. Once a frost folk uses his ice blast, he must wait 1d4 rounds before he can use this ability again.
Snowsight (Ex): All frost folk haveinnate snowsight, as the spell. No snowstorm can obscure their vision.
Skills: All frost folk gain a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks in snow and ice terrain.
FROST FOLK AS PLAYER CHARACTERS
Frost folk are feared, and the chill that surrounds them is more than physical. Human tribesfolk don’t trust them and call them “ice demons.” Snow goblins, urskans, and others have a superstitious fear of their ice blast. Frost folk have few friends in the frostfell. Many frost folk are barbarians, befitting their savage nature. Rogues, fighters, clerics, and druids are also common. Very few frost folk are sorcerers or wizards.
- +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, –2 Charisma.
- Size Medium.
- A frost folk’s base land speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Racial Hit Dice: A frost folk begins with four levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 4d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +4, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +4, and Will +4.
- Racial Skills: A frost folk’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 7 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Climb, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, and Frost folk have a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks in snow or ice.
- Racial Feats: A frost folk’s monstrous humanoid levels give it two feats.
- Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Frost folk are proficient with the battleaxe and composite longbow, as well as all simple weapons. They are proficient with light armor and shields.
- +2 natural armor bonus.
- Ice blast
- Cold subtype
- Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Auran, Draconic, Dwarven, Giant, Goblin, Orc.
- Favored Class: Barbarian.
- Level adjustment +1.